The G.I Hotline: Answering the Call
From the North Coast Journal
The woman on the phone was angry. It's disgraceful, she said, for an organization to encourage soldiers to desert or go AWOL. "No one in this office has ever done that," said Barbara Goldberg from the taut windowless room that serves as the Humboldt G.I Rights Hotline headquarters in the Peace and Justice Center on F Street in Arcata. "I'm absolutely certain of it."
It turned out that the caller's husband was deployed in Iraq, and she was scared. She didn't want soldiers deserting and placing her husband in even more danger, or devaluing his service and sacrifice.
MORE HERE
On Having Turned 80
-
It seemed odd, even to me, that after posts (or, let's face it, essays) on
major and not so major birthdays for the past 20 years, I let turning 80 go ...
4 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment