Thursday, January 06, 2022

American Tune


Many's the time I've been mistaken
 And many times confused
 Yes, and I've often felt forsaken 
And certainly misused 
Oh, but I'm alright, I'm alright
 I'm just weary to my bones
 Still, you don't expect to be bright and bon vivant
 So far away from home, so far away from home

 And I don't know a soul who's not been battered
 I don't have a friend who feels at ease
 I don't know a dream that's not been shattered
 Or driven to its knees
 But it's alright, it's alright
 For we lived so well so long
 Still, when I think of the road we're traveling on
 I wonder what's gone wrong
 I can't help it, I wonder what's gone wrong

 And I dreamed I was dying 
I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly
 And looking back down at me
 Smiled reassuringly
 And I dreamed I was flying

 And high up above my eyes could clearly see
 The Statue of Liberty
 Sailing away to sea
 And I dreamed I was flying 

We come on the ship they call The Mayflower
 We come on the ship that sailed the moon
 We come in the age's most uncertain hours
 And sing an American tune 
Oh, and it's alright, it's alright, it's alright
 You can't be forever blessed 
Still, tomorrow's going to be another working day
 And I'm trying to get some rest
 That's all I'm trying to get some rest

--Paul Simon

Paul Simon used part of a Bach Chorale for a section of "Bridge Over Troubled Water," and a few years later he used more of it for "American Tune." The melody had also been adapted for both Protestant and Catholic hymns.  These lyrics have been relevant pretty much all the time since he wrote them in the age of assassination and Watergate.  But it seems especially appropriate to remember them now on the first anniversary of the insurrection and attack on the US Capitol, and as the latest and perhaps fiercest Covid challenge begins.  Consider it as well an early Poetry Monday. 

No comments: