Monday, February 01, 2021

Poetry Monday: Winter


Skeleton of Winter

 These winter days
 I’ve remained silent
 as a whiteman’s watch
 keeping time
                    an old bone
 empty as a fish skeleton
 at low tide.
 It is almost too dark
                    for vision
 these ebony mornings
 but there is still memory,
 the other-sight
 and still I see.

 Rabbits get torn under
 cars that travel at night
 but come out the other
 side, not bruised 
breathing soft
 like no fear.

 And sound is light, is
 movement. The sun revolves
 and sings. 

 There are still ancient
 symbols
             alive
 I did dance with the prehistoric horses
 years and births later
 near a cave wall
 late winter.

 A tooth-hard rocking
 in my belly comes back,
 something echoes
 all forgotten dreams
                   in winter. 

 I am memory alive
                    not just a name
 but an intricate part
 of this web of motion,
 meaning: earth, sky, stars circling
 my heart

                   centrifugal.

-- Joy Harjo

No comments: