Monday, September 30, 2019

Poetry Monday: The Town of Earth



THE TOWN OF EARTH

Adobe, blue clay, serpentine, obsidian:
floors and walls
of the houses of the town of earth.
Cloud, rain, wind, air:
windows and roofs
of the houses of the town of earth.
Under floorboards, under cellars,
above roofs, above chimneys,
to the left of the right hand,
to the right of the left hand,
north of the future, south of the past,
outside the walls:
the limitless,
the wilderness,
the mountains and rivers of being,
the valley of possibility.

Ursula Le Guin
from Always Coming Home


2 comments:

Eden Winter said...

For the third time this year, I find myself in Galessburg Illinois with my sisters and brother who still live here. Then, what a trip to go out to dinner with my older sister's friends, most of whom are retired Knox professors, some of whom remember back to my own time there. What fun we 70 and 80 somethings have playing "did you know ... ?)! Well, of course I had to tell them about your blog. They may even look you up!

But, the purpose of this partucular comment is not to reminisce or compare, but to thank you for the Ursula K. LeGuin poem, "The Town of Earth," from Always Coming Home, which happens to be one of the few books I still own. Right now, in my life and in our world, inspiration and joy are much needed commodities. So Thank You for providing some for us. I really do recommend your blog to others, and I really hope they read it and get as much out of it as I do. Of course, not everyone has known and loved you as I have these many years, but I think the appeal of your writing might inspire, let's say, a retired Knox English professor who started after you graduated, or anyone who thinks and lives in this crazy present time. Well, I especially enjoy your History of My Reading, and especially when you remember Knox, and I want you to know how much I Love and Bless you for sharing all that you do!

Captain Future said...

Thanks so much. And sorry if I found this comment a little late.