Sunday, June 30, 2019

Trinidad Head 2019

My annual birthday trek up Trinidad Head on an overcast late afternoon.  Again this year they've made it steeper and longer, don't know how they do it.

From my favorite bench, my power spot not quite at the top of the Head, the sea is still at low tide.  Silent except for birds and the low persistent moan of a distant fog horn. Some white clouds under the darker, blue peeking through here and there. Gray sea except near Clam Beach where it is very blue, mirroring perhaps the last sunlight at the opposite horizon.

From the top, looking back over Trinidad Harbor towards Clam Beach to the south, there is above the beach a dark layer of trees where cloud shadow falls, with a brighter green layer at the top of the range.  Beyond and above that, another forested range, green in misty sunlight.  Beyond and above that, a segment of another range, blue in the distance.  Above that, a snugly fitting cap of white clouds on the distant blue hills, and a scattered white layer above that, before it meets a solid darker mass of clouds that covers the sky from there to over my head and out to sea.

Going down, it occurs to me I haven't seen a rabbit on the trail in a couple of years.  Rabbits are the largest animals I've ever seen on the Head.  As it is now evening, when they come out, I hope I see one today.  After the next turn of the trail, I do.  A small rabbit, probably young, hears me and freezes at the edge of the narrow trail, crowded with leaves from both sides.  I stop as well, to look.  I am pretty far away but I know that as soon as I move, the rabbit will scamper into the underbrush, but neither of us can stay there all night.

(Don't strain your eyes.  The rabbit isn't in the picture.)

No comments: