Friday, April 12, 2019

Move to Check

While I have been otherwise engaged, I have eshewed the daily news.  In doing so I realized that (1) the daily dip into it was detrimental to my health, and (2) the trajectories of things are set for awhile, and nothing I can know, guess, say or do will change them.

But I do read the Washington Post's email of the day's headlines, and I see a pattern in some stories that suggests Homemade Hitler is more intent than ever on dictatorial power.  At minimum, a dictator needs control of the military and the police. Efforts have accelerated to install leaders of key federal organizations who will be loyal to the apprentice dictator in the White House rather than the country or the Constitution: in particular ICE (his wannabe Gestapo) and the Secret Service, and more generally Homeland Security and the Justice Department.

This leads me to be less skeptical of those who claim that he may try to stay in power even if defeated in the presidential election.  Now what I particularly do not miss is the endless speculation that is apparently necessary to fill up the cable hours and Internet news niches.  But in this case, I hope the people in position to prevent or stop such a devastating act are also noting these action and are now taking precautionary steps to prevent or stop this from happening.

No comments: