With his first victory (a massive one to boot) Bernie Sanders gave a succinct victory speech that hit all his right notes. He also said very early in the speech that in a few months all Democrats (and Democratic candidates) will have to unite to defeat any of the possible--and uniformly horrific--Republican candidates for President.
In 2008, Barack Obama made his most famous speech--the now-mythic "Yes We Can" speech--in conceding New Hampshire to Hillary Clinton. Does anybody remember what Hillary said?
In 2016, Hillary may have given the equivalent for her campaign. Her concession was the best speech I've ever heard her make, not only in content but in delivery. Will it do for her campaign what Obama's did for his? I guess we'll see.
On Having Turned 80
-
It seemed odd, even to me, that after posts (or, let's face it, essays) on
major and not so major birthdays for the past 20 years, I let turning 80 go ...
6 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment