Sunday, February 05, 2006

More than 3,000 miles away, I know it's serious.

The western PA town where I was born is no longer called Greensburg. It's Black and Goldsburg (at least until Monday.)

It could well be the name of the entire region. Black and gold is everywhere. Black and gold two- story balloons. Black and gold food. Although I can only read about it and imagine it.

On a normal Sunday in football season, business in the Pittsburgh area is slow, especially during the game. It's a favorite time for non-fans to go to the mostly empty supermarket, though the game will be blaring from the p.a.

On this Super Bowl Sunday, come six pm eastern time, the city will just stop. The malls will actually close. It's not just that fewer customers are likely. Too many employees want to be watching the game, too.

The Pittsburgh Public Theatre has cancelled its Sunday night performance of The Importance of Being Earnest. The Importance of Being Steelers takes precedence. The city's science and art museums, and even the zoo, are running programs and contests related to the Steelers. The game is the cultural event. The Super Bowl is the city's theatre.

By the time the game ends, portions of downtown Pittsburgh will be closed to motorized traffic. A big safe space is being created for the expected celebration. There hasn't been one for a Super Bowl victory since 1980.

Today's the day. Steelers 31 Seattle 10.

Although I saw a few Steelers fans today--like me, wearing a cap, one guy in a jersey--there are no designated Steelers bars or parties I know of nearby. So this will be a virtual event, just me and the TV set and the vibe. And I'm under orders from the producer of the radio show I'm to be on Monday morning: hand gestures only, no prolonged vocalizations at the TV screen.

I don't think so.

No comments: