Monday, July 19, 2021

The Dreamers


The Dreamers

 In one of the dreams men tell how they woke
 a man who can’t read turned pages
 until he came to one with his own story
 it was air
 and in the morning he began learning letters 
 starting with A is for apple
 which seems wrong
 he says the first letter seems wrong

 a man with his eyes shut swam upward
 through dark water and came to air
 it was the horizon
 he felt his way along it and it opened
 and let the sun out so much for the sun
 and in the morning he began groping for the horizon
 like the hands of a clock
 day and night

 a man nothing but bones was singing
 and one by one the notes opened
 and rose in the air and were air
 and he was each one
 skin mouth ears feeling
 feathers he keeps counting everything
 aloud including himself
 whatever he counts one is missing 

 I think I fell asleep on a doorway 
inside someone was coming
 walking on white heads that were the best words I knew
 and they woke at that step for the first time and were true
 when I came to myself it was morning
 I was at the foot of the air
 in summer and I had this name
 and my hand on a day of the world

 --W.S. Merwin

No comments: