Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Summarizing



Wednesday Update: Another warm one for us today but nothing like the temps in southern California, where fires were raging, especially in the San Diego area where nine fires have burned over 9,000 acres and a number of homes.

Today (and forecast for tomorrow) it is summer in Arcata.  Record-breaking temps (low 70s to 80 or so, depending on the source) meet the usual high humidity.  Outside the door into the air the immediate difference is smell.  Barely noticeable manure spread on gardens in the neighborhood is suddenly pungent, as is the garbage in the bins outside groceries and restaurants.

New neighbors have a young son with another child on the way.  From over the fence the sound of water from the hose hitting the bottom of a small bright plastic pool.  It prompts an image maybe from memory, of standing in the sun-dazzle trying to wrap my mind around the idea that while I was really hot, in a few minutes, when the little pool is filled and I jump in, I will be cool.  Truth is I'm not sure I ever had a little plastic pool.  I probably played in a wash bucket.  But my sisters had one, and that sound is truly in the memory.

Students converge on Wildberries for their finals prep sustenance. My duty as a reporter forces me to observe that short shorts are in this year.

  From my window-side table, three horses with women riders pass through the parking lot.

No comments: