Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Local Nature Notes

We walked the Trinidad head on the last day of June.  I've never seen the trail so overgrown. Near the top it was almost invisible.  Budget cuts?  Bad timing?

In PA, I was used to goldfinches (as well as cardinals and bluejays) but I haven't seen birds that yellow hereabouts for a long time, if ever.  This spring however we started seeing flashes of yellow darting around in front and back yards.  Now there are a couple of little birds that seem to be checking out the back porch for nesting possibilities.  One bird that seemed almost entirely yellow perched on the clothesline.  It looked almost like a parakeet, but I'm terrible at identifying birds.  Later I spotted either that bird or another with a lot of yellow but a big black band on the back.  Any idea of what these birds (pretty sure there are two) could be?

No comments: