Thursday, April 07, 2011

Orange You Jealous? And Other Random Notes


I noted with I hope obvious amusement that this blog was in the Final Four of a blog-sponsored tournament of Humboldt County blogs.  (Like VCU, it lost in the semi-finals.  Congrats to whoever won.)  It's a laugh to me because this is barely a blog at all, let alone a Humboldt County one. 

Sure, it's published as a blog, on blogspot, but I probably don't have to point out the many ways it differs from the usual blog.  And it's a Humboldt County blog only in the sense that I live here, now.  I almost never write about local politics (I barely mention the entire state of California.) I understand that it's a failing but local politics and local news just don't interest me.  I'm sure they should, but there's only so much time in my day, and so much gas in my tank.

What I do occasionally write about--what does interest me--is life as I live it here.  (That's probably reflected even more in my photos.)  What I value about living here has more to do with the clouds and the trees, the ocean, the smell of wood smoke, the cows in the pastures along the highway (as there were when I was growing up in western PA, but are no more.)  And the oranges.

When I was a kid in western PA, biting into an orange was taking a chance.  It could be good, it could be not so good. It was the same everywhere else I've lived since, with the not so good becoming more frequent.  But here we get oranges, particularly navel oranges, for a good part of the year, but especially right now.  I guess they come up from the Central Valley.  They're California oranges anyway.  And they are good.  They are excellent.  And they are always, always excellent.  And they have been from the first ones I bought at my first Saturday Farmers' Market on the Arcata Plaza in the fall of 1996, to today (when I'm more likely to pick up a week's worth at Wildberries Market on senior discount day.)

Dream up globally, even galactically.  Eat and drink locally.  That's about as Humboldt as I get.

Though I do have this part-time job that requires me to go to plays in Humboldt County.  I've just revamped my Stage Matters blog, and I like how it looks now.  Posts like the Tom Stoppard ones are a real indulgence, but then so is this.  I was also amused that this blog's showing in the tournament revealed its existence to some other local bloggers.  This blog's first post was in 2005.  I started "blogging" (on American Dash) in 2002.  Welcome, newcomers.

Oh, and our 101 is open again--thanks to the folks who cleared that mudslide away so quickly.  The only effect I saw was a day or so without New York Times or San Francisco Chronicles.

1 comment:

Eric V. Kirk said...

That tangerines are also excellent lately. Especially the Mandarins.