Friday, December 28, 2007

R. I. P Benazir Bhutto

The assassination of Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan is tragic and portentious. Although political assassination is not uncommon in that part of the world (Bhutto is the fourth member of her family to be killed for political reasons), the prominence of Pakistan in U.S. politics brings this closer. No one yet knows--and quite possibly will ever know--who committed and abetted this crime, but because of its prominence on American TV, it has reintroduced political violence in an election year in the U.S. It's not something I'd like to see again here, as I have seen it in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I hope all campaigns are taking this seriously.

Apart from that, even though the Hardball bloviators talked themselves into believing this will have a big impact on outcomes in Iowa and New Hampshire (favoring Hillary and John McCain because of their "experience"), my instincts resonate with Dana Millbank on Keith who doesn't think it will have much direct impact on the outcome. People aren't so concerned (i.e. scared) about it, at least not yet.

As for the impact on the region, it ain't going to be good. Just how bad remains to be seen.

Personally I find this very saddening. Whatever her policies and whatever the politics in that land I know so little about, she was a courageous woman--a Muslim women, in a part of the world where Muslim women are a major moderating influence. And I fear that politics by guns may spread further beyond battlefields, beyond stupid unthinking media metaphors, if we're not conscious and careful.

No comments: