Thursday, January 19, 2006

This Modern World

I'm writing the little account of blogging I mentioned, basically for an audience unfamiliar with blogs. So it's made me more conscious of not only how weird this world is, but how weird it sounds.

What I mean is: ask yourself what people would say about someone, ten years ago or even just five, who uttered a sentence like: "I googled your blog and hotlinked to mine, then diaried at kos before I checked my rss feeds on my Ipod."

I got the same feeling the other day when I happened to catch a Wall Street report on TV which began with something like "Dow rises led by google and Yahoo." It's not your grandfather's U.S. Steel and General Motors stock market anymore. Can you even picture Walter Cronkite saying "google" and "Yahoo" with a straight face? I admit to watching the BBC News on TV sometimes just to hear them say Yahoo and google.

Or blog.

3 comments:

Fred Mangels said...

Just a suggestion: If you don't want to go through explaining all the blog words in the main body of your article, perhaps a little sidebar with words and their definitions. Heck, I don't understand a lot of that stuff myself.

Captain Future said...

Hi Fred. Fortunately that's not my responsibility--my contribution is just part of a longer piece that Bob Doran and Hank Sims are doing. I hope they highlight you, because as far as I can see, you're the most active in networking the North Coast bloggers.

Fred Mangels said...

Gee, thanks, william. Cap'n Buhne, over at the Buhne Tribune did some networking in his latest post.